Take on a new challenge in 2013 and make a real difference to thousands of families across rural Africa at the same time. While you will face challenges of distance and terrain on the trip, these are obstacles that health workers in Africa face every day trying to deliver HIV and TB medication, contraceptives, child immunisations and malaria nets to remote communities.
Ben Nevis weekend
Ben Nevis (Gaelic translation ‘Mountain of Heaven’) is the highest point in the British Isles and stands at the lofty height of 1343m above sea level. The Scottish Highlands are full of enchantment with the ancient past all around. You will be overwhelmed by the increasing remoteness and the unspoilt environment as you leave the lowlands.
- 2013: 14th June, 5th July, 16th August
- 2014: 13th June, 4th July, 15th August
- Registration fee: £59
- Plus minimum fundraising target: £550 (£600 in 2014)
Hadrian’s Wall weekend
Starting at Lanercost Priory, you will trek for 25 miles alongside the only remaining sections of the wall which cuts though the beautiful Northumberland National Park. Stop to admire ancient monuments, beautiful scenery and the skill of the Roman engineers who built this famous landmark, now a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
- 2013: 31st May, 2nd August, 6th September
- 2014: 6th June, 1st August, 5th September
- Registration fee: £59
- Plus minimum fundraising target: £500 (£550 in 2014)
Inca Trail to Machu Picchu
From high remote mountain trails to the first sight of Machu Picchu, the legendary Lost City of the Incas, this is a challenging 10 day trek on steep trails climbing to 4200m in fantastic and diverse mountainous country.
- 2013: 27th April, 2nd November
- 2014: 26th April, 1st November
- Registration fee: £449
- Plus minimum fundraising target: £3625 (£3750 in 2014)
Mount Kilimanjaro trek
The highest freestanding mountain in the world, Kilimanjaro is also the highest mountain on the African continent at 5896m. Its snow-capped summit rises high above the dusty plains and huge permanent glaciers flow down from the summit; these views are the reward for pushing your limits for 10 days both physically and mentally.
- 2013: 16th August, 27th September, 25th October
- 2014: 24th January, 21st February, 15th August, 26th September
- Registration fee: £499
- Plus minimum fundraising target: £3950 (£4075 in 2014)
London to Paris cycle
Passing through picturesque Kent countryside, you cross the Channel and continue through the small villages and medieval market towns of Northern France, passing the famous battlefields of the Somme and Agincourt. With five long days in the saddle and some strenuous hill-climbs, the sight of the Eiffel Tower will evoke a real sense of achievement.
- 2013: 15th May, 2nd June, 31st July, 4th September
- 2014: 14th May, 11th June, 30th July, 3rd September
- Registration fee: £149
- Plus minimum fundraising target: £1600 (£1625 in 2014)
Sahara desert trek
The Sahara desert stretches from the snow-capped High Atlas mountains of Morocco in the west, to the Red Sea coast 4800km to the East. With proud Berbers as our guides and a small caravan of camels to carry our supplies we will trek for 10 days through this varied and stunning landscape.
- 2013: 1st March, 25th October
- 2014: 28th February, 28th October
- Registration fee: £299
- Plus minimum fundraising target: £2250
These are just a selection of challenge events offered to us by our partner organisation, Discover Adventure.
If you would like to take part in a different challenge event on our behalf, or for more information on any of the destinations, please contact Elizabeth from our fundraising team on:
- 01604 889 570