For over 20 years, Riders for Health have focused on providing reliable, cost-effective and practical transport services for health-focused organisations across sub-Saharan Africa. This helps our partners to make sure health care delivery is uninterrupted and reaches the people that need it.
Riders for Health’s expertise lies in managing vehicles for our partners – whether the vehicles are used to mobilise outreach health workers on motorcycles, transport samples and supplies to health centres, or are ambulances for emergency referrals.
Our experience working in some of the world’s most remote areas is unrivalled. Whatever our partner’s need, our commitment is to design a customised transport solution at a sustainable cost.
Unique and innovative fleet management solutions
Built on over 20 years of experience in managing vehicles in Africa, we have developed vehicle management solutions founded on three core principles, integral to all that we do:
- Preventive maintenance: Riders’ preventive maintenance system will replace parts on vehicles at regular intervals to avoid breakdowns. Our system keeps fleets running, in better condition, for the duration of their intended mechanical lifetime. As well as having workshops across our programmes, we operate an outreach maintenance system where our technicians bring our services near to where the partner is working. They travel to a convenient location to conduct regular maintenance on the motorcycles and vehicles, saving time and money.
- Training of vehicle users: As important as the maintenance itself, training is critical in keeping vehicle users safe and optimising the life of the vehicle. We train vehicle users in defensive driving and basic maintenance checks every year. Read more about our training service here.
- Planning and budgeting: Our unique pricing models enable our partners to manage and budget for on-going running costs. We can also offer additional advice and support for setting appropriate budgets for the delivery of sustainable health programmes. And for the selection of appropriate vehicles for the environment and for our partners’ programmes, our technical team are on-hand to help.
Managing 1,400 vehicles across seven African countries, Riders produces results for partners including:
- Increased vehicle longevity
- Reduced vehicle downtime due to outreach and preventive maintenance
- Reliable supply chain of high-quality replacement parts
- Safer riders and drivers and fewer accidents
- Long-term cost savings
- Reduced time spent on vehicle management issues as a result of outsourcing
- Predictable budgeting and no unexpected repair costs
- Regular reporting on vehicle usage